Guanajuato: My Favorite Place

My favorite place in the world currently is Guanajuato, Mexico. I lived there for a year, taking political science classes at the Universidad de Guanajuato, and even met my boyfriend of two years while I was studying there! My boyfriend and our dog, a Siberian Husky puppy named Juno, still live there, and I try to visit whenever I can.


Just had to include a picture of Juno, sorry. 
                                                   
Guanajuato is considered the cultural heartland of Mexico. The capital of the state, also called Guanajuato, was among the sites where Mexico experienced its first stirrings of its independence movement in the early 1800s. A few notable battles where the Mexican colonists fought the Spanish Empire's army took place in the state. The state is rich in both Spanish colonial and pre-Columbian history; the capital is the site of the famous Museo de las Momias, where you visitors can go and see naturally-preserved mummies from the cholera epidemic Mexico experienced in the mid-1800s. The state was also the hub of Spanish silver mining, and is still one of the world's largest producers of silver today.

    The view of the capital city from the top of Cerro de la Bufa
                                               
It was here that I made some amazing relationships that last to this day. The state, nestled in the foothills of the Sierra Madre, is a beautiful place full of interesting people, delicious food, and great views. If anyone reading this ever gets the opportunity to go visit Mexico, I highly recommend making a stop in Guanajuato.

  The Juarez Theater, clearly a very popular place to hang out.
                                     

*Note: All photos are owned by me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to an International Studies Major

Comment Wall

Week 5 Story: Sarnevesht