Microfiction: Two Stories of Narcissus

For this microfiction assignment, I will be telling two different versions of the story of Narcissus, from Ovid's Metamorphoses. To read the original version, click here.

Hint Fiction (25 words):

He saw himself, and fell in love.
He moved to embrace himself, and touched only water.
He couldn't reach himself, and only Echo mourned him.

Author's Note: So, I know this is a bit dramatic. But how else do you tell Narcissus' story in 25 words? It summarizes Narcissus' story, and I feel like anyone who knows at least the rough plot of the story would be able to understand it. I added the part about only being mourned by Echo because I thought that was a heartbreaking part of the story. Echo loves Narcissus, like everyone else, but because of her curse, she can't communicate well with him and instead is forced to watch him fall in love with himself, just like she did, and beat himself to death when he realizes he cannot ever be with the person he's in love with. I kind of wanted to give her more space, even in this shortened version of the story.


Narcissus by Caravaggio c. 1597-1599


Two-Sentence Stories:

Narcissus lay on the ground, waiting to die, and said quietly, "It was only a bit of water that separated us."

Author's Note: Again, melodramatic. Something about the line in the original story where Narcissus is lamenting over his inability to love himself (okay, dude) and says, "We are only kept apart by a little water!" struck me. Because it is somehow more than just some water and less that separated him from the person he loved, all at once. I wanted to bring that element back into his last moments, and this is the result.


Bibliography: Ovid's Metamorphoses, Books 1-4, translated by Tony Kline (2000)

Comments

  1. Hey Cece!

    These micro fictions are awesome! I can't help but think of the Disney movie Hercules (it's one of my favorites) when I hear Narcissus. A beautiful God kissing his reflection in a pocket mirror with Hermes delivering a witty quote. I liked the drama that these stories evoked. I think it pairs well with this character since his demise ended up being the thing he loved most.. talk about the plot to a telenovela! I also liked how you were able to convey so much of the story in just a few words. It may help that I am familiar with this story, but I think it would be clear to those who don't know it well too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to an International Studies Major

Comment Wall

Week 5 Story: Sarnevesht