Week 5 Story: Sarnevesht

Sarnevesht


When my son was born, it was love at first sight for me. I knew from the moment I first held him for the first time that I would do anything for him. He was my first child, after many failed attempts by my wife and I to have a child. Soon after he was born, I took my son to the mullah to have his horoscope read. I gave the mullah all the information of his birth, and waited anxiously while the man did his calculations and consulted his books. I wanted my son to have a good life, more than I had wanted anything before.
After a while, I watched a frown form on the mullah's face, deep furrows appearing on his brow as he checked, then double-checked his calculations.
"What is it?" I asked him anxiously.
The mullah shook his head, then said gravely, "I'm sorry, agha, but I can only see a violent end for your son."
"'A violent end'?" I repeated incredulously, "What does that mean? What does his horoscope say?"
He shook his head again, "I mean that fate has a very particular ending in store for him: he will be torn apart by a wolf."
I stood up, "That can't be, you must have done the calculations wrong."
"Agha, I have been doing this for over forty years, as did my father and my grandfather before me. I know how to read the stars, and this is what they are telling me about your son." His tone was serious, reproachful.
I felt shame for having questioned the man so harshly, and bowed my head in apology, "I'm sorry. Is there anything I can do to save my son?"
The mullah leaned back in his seat and shook his head once again, "You can try to keep him away from the outside, as the wolves sometimes come wandering into the village looking for livestock, but one can never outrun fate for long. Our destiny always manages to reach us, one way or another."
The mullah's words haunted me, but I refused to sit and wait for my son to be slaughtered. I went home that very day and started building a room under our house. I moved our son's things down there and told my wife to never let him out. She questioned me at first, but when I told her of the mullah's reading, her face went pale and she did as I asked.
We kept him down there for years, bringing in mullahs to teach him and food and water to keep him alive, visiting him as often as we could so that he wouldn't get too lonely. But as he got older, we knew it was time for him to have a wife, and to give us grandchildren that could take care of us when we got older, and to take care of him, since he would never be able to leave his room without putting himself at risk of violent death. A neighbor of ours had a daughter about our son's age, and we arranged a match for them. We celebrated the wedding for a week, my wife and I feeling some relief that our son had someone else to share his somewhat limited life with and to keep him company.
The final night of the celebrations, I brought my new daughter-in-law down to my son's room, and introduced them for the first time as man and wife. I took my daughter-in-law's hand and put it in my son's, folding his fingers over hers and squeezing them briefly before going upstairs to leave them alone for the first time. It was with a lighter heart that I went to sleep that night, sure that I had given my son some small happiness at least.

The village of Dalkhani in northern Iran (Source: Tasnim News Agency)


In the middle of the night I woke to the sound of a long, high-pitched howl. it almost seemed to be coming from below us, but that was impossible, so I assumed I had only heard the howl of a wolf outside the village and went back to sleep. The next morning after my wife had gone down to the underground chamber to check on the new couple, there was a blood curdling screech. I went running down there, and found a horrific scene, the limbs of my son strewn about the room, the wooden planks of the floor soaked with blood, remnants of his clothes tossed around the room, shredded to pieces. My daughter-in-law sat on the bed with her knees to her chest, her arms covered in blood and her expression one of horror. My wife was frozen by the stairs, the pot of tea she had been carrying down to them thrown onto the ground.
"What happened here?" I managed to ask. My wife was silent, but the girl, with tears streaming down her face, said, "I thought it was just a bad dream..."

All the men and women in the village came to the burial. After we had gathered what was left of my son, my wife had insisted we fill the chamber with dirt, never to be stepped foot in again. The mullah who had made my son's prediction came to the burial, and after he had paid his respects and turned to leave, he gave me a sad, knowing look, like he had been proven right but had been hoping he had been wrong the whole time. I nodded at him. He had been right, it was foolish to try to escape fate.

Bibliography: Persian Tales, translated by D.L.R. Lorimer and E.O. Lorimer and illustrated by Hilda Roberts (1919) - The Story of the Wolf Bride

Author's Note: So, some backstory here. My best friends since middle school are Iranian-American triplets whose parents immigrated from Iran in the 90s. That was why I chose Persian Tales for this week. Having said that, while many of these stories were kind of gory and dark, I did find them interesting. The message in this story is so powerful, the idea that we all have a predetermined fate and that you cannot escape that fate, that I didn't want to change that. At the beginning of my version, I did try to tap into the father's' emotions more, because it is only out of both deep superstition and deep love that one could believe this about his own son's life, and also that he would go to such lengths to protect him. He basically made him the Persian underground Bubble Boy for the sake of his own life. I'm still trying to find my storytelling style, and it feels a little weird to be writing stories in the first place, but I hope everyone likes what I did with this! I thought it would be a good twist to make it so that the girl didn't even remember turning into a wolf like she does in the story; if it really is some superior being or fate, it makes more sense to me that she is an unknowing instrument than to have remembered it at all. As for the title, the word "sarnevesht" is Farsi (the language spoken in Iran, distinctly different from the Arabic of the surrounding countries) for "fate" or "destiny." Shoutout to Baba (my friend's dad) for giving me the translation, because my Farsi skills are super limited.

Comments

  1. Hey Cece!
    Great story this week! I definitely feel like you have a good storytelling voice, even if it seems like you don't think so! Your use of dialogue in the beginning of this story felt very natural and really set up a lot of the anxiety, edge-of-your-seat feelings that the story continued. I definitely liked that the girl had no strong memory as the event and was more of an "unknowing instrument" like you said. I also thought you did a good job of sticking to the father's viewpoint throughout the story, especially near the end of the story. It helped everything feel more consistent. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cece!

    Again, I am impressed by your stories! You just have a style that makes everything feel so smooth and natural. I think this was a cool story to retell as it's core holds a sort of controversial topic. Some people agree that fate is determined but others believe you can shape and mold your destiny. I think you did a great job at conveying their belief in fate as set in stone. How sad that it was his wife to end him though! Although, what life did he really have stuck down in that cave, I think I would go mad!! The fatherly love was a nice touch on this story and helped give an explanation to his otherwise questionable actions. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cece!

    I thought this story was really great! The only semi-complaint that I have is that it might have been nice to break-up the paragraphs/dialogue with a little more spacing in between. Just the formatting made it a little tough to read. I thought the writing was easy to read and the story was well told. I especially thought your author's note was great and it gave me a much better understanding of the story/your perspective. I really appreciated the "twist" of not allowing the new-wife to remember turning into the wolf - this gave the story some extra suspense!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Cece!

    Nice work with this story! I have pretty much no prior knowledge about the Persian Tales but this story makes me interested in exploring them. I do know that people trying to outrun their fates is a theme that is common not only in Middle East but also in the stories and myths of Greece and Rome as well as India and China! Everyone seems to have a concept of fate and I think it's really interesting that stories of people fighting against it are so common around the world. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey CeCe!
    Your story was great and I think that you are a smooth storyteller. Everything flows very nicely. I was a little confused by the daughter-in-law at the end just sitting there. I knew that she had done it but I didn't catch on as to why it ended that way. After reading your author note, I totally agree that it makes sense that she was too left in the dark. It really was all up to fate. I didn't see anyone mention this, but something I noticed was your placement of the photo in the middle. You put the photo in the perfect spot, it gave me the feeling of starting the next chapter in a book. It made the transition in the story go very smoothly. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Cece!
    This story was such a nice read, and I really enjoyed how you worked the original source work into your own original story. I really appreciated your story, also, what a cool connection to the story! I always look to the author's note to see where stories come from, and honestly I am glad that this is a required part of the stories, because I love seeing the inspiration.
    Overall, an incredible story!
    Best wishes,
    Mikayla

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cece! I loved your story. It was incredibly well-written and the narrative flowed effortlessly. I completely understand about trying to find your narrative style, it is hard to find something that feels right, so this class is a great opportunity to explore different styles and ways to tell a story. In any case, this writing style seems to work perfectly! I enjoyed that you made the girl an unknowing pawn used by fate/the gods/whoever to fulfill the boy's destiny. I also really liked that you wrote this from the perspective of a worried parent even if the protagonist was the boy, it allowed for some very emotional inner-monologue and a more surprising twist when the dad finally sees his son's body. I hope that this story got you even closer to your best friends and their family, I'm sure they were very happy to share a part of their culture with you. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cece! This is a great story. This was really suspenseful in my opinion. Specifically the part in which to where she wakes up at the dead of night to scary sounds around her. Overall the story flows pretty smoothly from start to finish as an Persian tale should for those of us not familiar with any of it. This was a great way to get us intro'd into the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cece!

    This is the first time I have had the pleasure of reading your writing and I really enjoyed it! I did not know a lot about the Persian tales that you based this story off of but like you I had a friend back in high school who was Iranian and I remember hearing many unique stories about their culture that I found very interesting. I think the message in this story definitely does that culture justice and I cant wait to read more of your writing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to an International Studies Major

Comment Wall