Week 7 Story: Tamatori's Sacrifice

Tamatori's Sacrifice

    I died too young, but I did it for love. Perhaps that sounds dramatic, but let me explain. I had long been in love with Prime Minister Takeuchi, having seen him roaming the city often, pacing by the cliffs thoughtfully and delivering calm, reasoned speeches in the town square on behalf of our Empress. I never did anything, because I knew that someone like him could only marry royalty, and I was just an ama, a fisher-maiden. I earned my living by diving under the surface of the ocean for fish, crab, octopus, even pearls, anything that I could get my hands on. We occupied different worlds; how could I expect someone like the minister to even notice me?
    One day, I came upon him standing on the cliffs overlooking the rolling waves. He had his swords out, ready to engage in the ritual suicide of seppuku. I broke my tradition of silent longing and ran to him, throwing my arms around Takeuchi to stop him from throwing himself onto his swords.
    "Don't do it, my lord!" I screamed, "I'm begging you please, don't do this."
     He fought against my grip, but a lifetime of diving had made my limbs strong. "Let me die." Takeuchi commanded, "I have failed everyone." He explained to me then that he had just returned from a journey with the Empress to the Land of Morning Calm, and on the return had lost the Empress's great prize, the Jewel of Heart's Desire.
    "She will not see me until I recover it, and I cannot find it." Takeuchi told me sadly, "I have no other choice."
    I turned to look out across the waves,  and I spotted a bright point of light gleaming out of the water below us. Without thinking, I said, "It looks like a star trapped under the water." Takeuchi followed my gaze, murmuring, "It can't be..." My interest piqued by the thunderstruck expression on his face, I looked closer at the light, and saw a massive pagoda made of coral, with a gleaming gem resting on top of the highest pinnacle. Takeuchi and I looked back at each other, and I knew that it had to be the gem he had lost.
    "I will retrieve it for you, my lord." I told him, beginning to strip down to my loincloth, the standard attire we amas wore when we were diving. Takeuchi put a hand on my arm to stop me, "You can't, that's Benten's palace."
    Emboldened by my sudden determination, I put my hand on his, "Don't worry, I've been diving my whole live. I'll get the gem for you, to restore your honor." I strapped on Takeuchi's swords, which had fallen to the ground when I tried to stop his attempt at seppuku, and dove off the cliff. I didn't care that I was entering the dragon's domain, or that I might not return from this mission alive; all I could think about was saving the minister. I plunged through the emerald depths, the water cool and turbulent around me. I neared the spire where the gem rested. A school of strangely resentful fish watched me as I reached out to grab the gem. Just as my fingers touched it's impossibly warm surface, the water around me began to churn violently. I clutched the gem tightly to me as the space around me filled with the sea's deadliest creatures; sharks nipped at my feet, while swordfish stabbed at me and cuttlefish spit ink into my eyes, blinding me. I felt the sticky tentacles of an octopus wrap themselves around me, tightening around my chest and my throat until my vision blurred and I felt my head was about to burst if I didn't get oxygen soon. Through the throng of sea monsters, I saw a dragon watching me, smirking like he thought he had already won.

Tamatori fighting the sea monsters (Source: Ronin Gallery)

     I made my decision without hesitation. I had heard dragons were repulsed by dead bodies and refused to touch them, so I unstrapped one of Takeuchi's swords and plunged it into my sternum. Through blinding pain, I managed to stuff the gem inside the wound. The water around me had turned a deep crimson, and suddenly everything was calm. The monsters drifted away, releasing me, and I floated towards the surface of the water. By then, the pain had subsided, and I felt a persistent warmth pulsate throughout my body. The sky, which had been gray and stormy when I dove into the water, was now blindingly clear. 
    The sun above me grew brighter and brighter until the white-gold light filled my vision, and that was the end of it all for me.
    Later, I heard that Takeuchi wept for me, that he brought my body to the Empress and people from all over the country came to pay their respects to my memory. I was told I was even made a princess, though now it was too late for me to have a life with Takeuchi. But I did not regret my decision. He was able to return the jewel to the Empress, and the land became peaceful once again. I was young when I died, and many said my life had been cut too short, but I would do it all again, in the name of love.


Author's Note: So, I know this story is a bit melodramatic and cheesy. But I found the original story so powerful, and it more or less ignored the feelings of Tamatori, though she, in my eyes, is ultimately the hero of this story. For that reason, I wrote this story from her point of view, and tried to give her a voice. She loves Takeuchi so much that she literally went into a demon's lair to help him restore his honor. There's something kind of admirable in that sacrifice. Again, it feels weird to write fiction, especially something as intense as this, but I hope I did Tamatori justice! 

Story Source: Romance of Old Japan, Part I: Mythology and Legend by E. W. Champney and F. Champney (1917).


Comments

  1. Hi Cece!

    Hell yeah to girl power! I haven't read the original story but your retelling is very well-spoken and enjoyable to read. It's refreshing to take a stand for an underdog character that portrays such intense feelings anyways and I agree that her sacrifice speaks volumes for the story and strength of love Tamatori had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cece

    I would like to start off by saying that you did an amazing job with your post. I have not read the original story but from the point you are telling it, it seems that it is a great read. I also agree that Tamatori is the hero of this story. I like how you wrote from her point of view it makes the story much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cece!
    I think this is such an awesome story!! I love the girl power aspect, heck yes. I never read the original story, but I love a good "under dog" story. I wrote a similar "under dog" story for my storybook project. I really enjoyed this story, and I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cece!

    I find in many Japanese myths that female characters are just so underrated; even when they do amazing things. They just don't get as hyped up as the male warriors. That is why I chose to tell my week two story from one of these underrated heroines perspectives. I was reminded of my story while reading yours because of this. I don't think this was as cheesy as you may think. Yes, there is that romantic drama aspect, but I think you did a great job at showing the strength and power behind her love. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to an International Studies Major

Week 5 Story: Sarnevesht