Reading Notes: Beowulf, Part A - Beowulf's Resolve

Beowulf's Resolve


I enjoyed reading the first half of this epic so much. I've heard about Beowulf all my life, but I never knew what it was about; when people talked about it, it was mostly about the 2007 movie (which I'm told is a nightmare) and not the actual epic poem it was based on. There were so many stories from this first half I would have liked to write about, but I chose this one, the moment where Beowulf decides to go defeat Grendel, because in a hero story, this is his turning point.

This is the moment when Beowulf decides to take control of his destiny. As he is listening to the Wanderer, he decides that he is no longer content to be known as "the Sluggard," gifted with "the strength of thirty men" but unable to use it for anything he sees worthwhile. Everyone has their doubts when he makes his announcement, but Queen Hygd silently accepts him. She brings him a jeweled cup to drink from, her signal that she approves of his quest. It's interesting, because Hygd seems to have little to no dialogue in the whole story, but this action of hers carries weight, because it is then that King Hygelac offers his own approval to Beowulf's statement. I imagine that, having helped to raise Beowulf in her court from a young age, he must have an important place in her heart.

An artistic depiction of Hygd (Source: Lisa Poletto)


The story does not mention if Hygelac and Hygd have any children, so it might be that Beowulf is like a surrogate son to her, and she is proud to see him want to take on such a daunting task. I wonder if she had any worry or fear in her heart for Beowulf. I'm always drawn to the characters that seem to be underrepresented, and while Hygd is talked about for her beauty and wisdom a bit, she, like I said, doesn't have much to say. Despite that, she seems to have significant influence in the court. If I were to retell this story, I think I would focus on her perspective.

Story Source:  The Story of Beowulf by Strafford Riggs with illustrations by Henry Pitz (1933)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to an International Studies Major

Comment Wall

Week 5 Story: Sarnevesht